Moral policing takes over the society only when routine policing fails. Examine the statement in context of the recent incident that took place against some women in Pune.
Moral policing is a term used to describe vigilant groups who claim self as a protector of morality and try to enforce morality on others. It may have positive and negative connotations. If a group of transgender trying to teach society meaning of traffic rule and its benefit in road, it is positive. Few right wing outfits when enforce their ideology on you by force or by fear, it is negative.
Moral policing negatively curve out in specific cases when
1- Largely when law and order at not in place and police not able to perform its duty, moral policing is more visible as in case of Valentine day celebration. It affects fundamental rights like right of speech and right to live.
2- When police is not able to bring justice in time bound manner, and public emotions are unilateral as during communal riots.
3- Right wind or specific ideology gets political support to implement specific agenda.
4- When executive are amphibious and do not take quick decision. Police capacity, understanding on issues, limited mindset while handling issues also create space for moral policing.
5- Under the influence of religious, political, or ideological leadership.
Moral policing it not altogether negative but in Indian context it had done more harm than good. In many cases like Women safety and security, women dress issues, celebration of western festival like valentine day, and recent cow beef issue moral policing has created a difficult situation for all three organs of democracy. Moral policing can be used in positive manner if it can be tuned under active police guidance. Community policing type of concept can be emerge out if we can channelize it is in a positive manner
India had already missed the export led industrialization bus and needs a different jobs strategy. Critically examine.
When India was promoting license quota policies in 1960-70, countries in South East Asia were preparing themselves to open their economy. Transformation in that time period helped China, Singapore, and other nations for faster economic growth and today they are closer to developed nation category. Now India needs to do something out of box rather following similar path which time has already gone. For that certain steps can be taken
- To create more jobs, beyond doubt India need to have more manufacture oriented sector. Here rather depends on low manufacturing products India need to look for quality products.
- Multidimensional push for development is needed where equal focus needed for service, manufacture, and primary sector for job growth.
- India needs to upgrade skill youth for textile industry; agro food processing units, tourism which are labor intensive and same time go with Indian expertise.
- Free trade agreements need to cash in better way. “Make outside India”, project based investment in Africa can be better way for export led industrialization while creating job.
- Skill India, Make in India, Digital India, and Smart cities and so on these initiatives need to look in integration so internal demand will increase multifold for job creation.
- Skill India and digital India need to link with service sector where India has edge.
- Quality production with limited environmental harm must be bottom line for any initiative.
In changing global scenario when mega trade agreements can hurt export led industrialization strategy, India need to explore new markets through initiatives like RCEP and International north south trade corridor (INSTC). Same time internal capacity of infrastructure need link rural mass to new wave of industrialization.