What is your assessment of the foreign policy being pursued by the Indian government? Do you perceive any ideological shift? Examine.
In recent past Indian foreign policy has been taken many instances which are either continuation on past policies or added totally new horizons. Few major highlights are
- Look East to Act East is a big shift, similar engagement with African Nations are intensified.
- India is today closer to Israel in many fronts; this is not in much continuation of NAM policy.
- Neighborhood first policy of present government is not much pleasant in recent past. This is partially because shift of Indian foreign policy with neighborhood countries. Nepal, Shri Lanka, Pakistan, and Maldives all are potentially playing China card against India.
- India stand of non alliance has been diluted in recent past as India now closer to United States on many fronts; Recent MOA of logistics and defense deals is one testimony of it.
- Active engagement of Indian Diaspora as part of foreign policy has been witnessed.
- Today India is much more aspire to become part of UN as permanent member, APEC, NPT, MTCR as pushing hard efforts.
Recent foreign policies are bit of ideological shift in terms of dilution of NAM approach to functioning. Also handling with Pakistan and China is more assertive. Earlier Indian approach was more regional and now India is present in every global forum. But apart from few instances still India is has similar broad vision of foreign policy. We have healthy relation with Palestine also. Still Russia is the most loyal friend of India as we share common platform in BRICS and SCO also. It is obvious to have few changes as a different ideological government is leading the nation.
The legacy of Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru is too big to be eclipsed by the ideological battle being witnessed presently. What is your opinion on the ongoing controversy on Nehru’s role in nation building? Substantiate
India first Prime minster and leading freedom fighter Nehru Ji has done a lot for India which set the base for future India. His few remarkable works in India after independence are
- He was the key architect of Indian constitution which has helped India survival when all third world countries were falling down.
- Nehru legacy is to promote Institutions in India. It was under his leadership that India had first elections, established parliamentary system, planning model, premium education institutions like IITs, Nuclear institution BARC, and so on.
- India became champion of third world nations because Nehru had a vision for third world. NAM establishment and its success in turbulence time are beyond doubt.
- To integrate India and ensure safety and security of all minority classes after independence could be achieving because people had faith on Nehru and top leadership which he delivered also.
- Setting up roots of secularism in India is the gift of Nehru for Indian post generations.
To Understand the Nehru legacy, it is very important to understand that time when he took the charge as leader. The recent controversy on his legacy and his contribution is more because of political and ideological differences. Questions on Nehru legacy has been raised on the basis of
- Planned economic policies
- Handling the Kashmir Issue
- Sino India war
- Linguistic division among states and so on
Partially it may true also and question can be raises on history. But all these allegations cannot over shadow that Nehru legacy and his work for India. Judging history from Present perspective may not be the best way to understand things.