India’s first National Disaster Management Plan (NDMP) was unveiled recently. Discuss the salient features of this plan. How this plan can help in effective disaster management? Examine.
Now India is in list of nations that follow Sendai framework 2015 and have own disaster management plan. It delivers clarity on significant dimensions which created haphazard in recent past natural and human disasters. Main salient features are
1- Planning- for short medium and long run respectively 5, 10, and 15 years to deal with disasters.
2- Participation- It has detailed planning to include all stakeholders vertically and horizontally. Beside union it offers role for state, districts, and panchayats also.
3- Redefining disaster- It has framework which cover all phases of disaster management cycle- prevention, mitigation, response, and recovery.
4 Role clarity- – 15 different disasters have been identified and different ministers are entrusted for management; for instance for cyclone Minister for earth science will be responsible.
5- Human induced category chemical, biological, radioactivity, and nuclear also covered under it.
6- Beside human it focused on livestock and animals also.
7- Media role- ethical role of media also to avoid any embarrassing situation like in Nepal earthquake and Mumbai terrorism attack.
8- Community oriented model and much focus on training and awareness
9- Technical up gradation and adopting best international practice is part of it.
It was much awaited for India to have own disaster plan in the wake of climate change and other man-made disasters like recent in kerala temple festival. It will help as
1- Clarity of role for different stakeholders delivered by it which is very important at the time of crisis. Chaos can be largely avoided by ensuring single line of command.
2- Community involvement has been ensured by adding district and panchayat role into it.
3- A model for Asian countries for upcoming ministerial event on disaster management in India.
What is ‘equalisation levy’ or the so called ‘Google tax’? Discuss the rationale behind introducing this levy.
Union budget 2016-17 proposed the equalization levy on online advertising for those firms which nonresident in India. Firms like Facebook, Google, Tweeter, and so on will fall under this category. Under this government proposed to cover more than 1 lakh Rs payment by online advertising, software downloading, web hosting and other related subjects.
Rational behind the step
- Permanent establishment will be push for these firms who have huge market in India but establish outside.
- It will help to increase government revenue as 6% tax on amount more than 1 lakh.
- It is parallel to the measures suggested by OECD for profit sharing and global base erosion.
- It may negative impact on recently launched initiatives like digital India, e commerce business, and startup India and other such digital initiatives.
- Whole range of digital services charge will increase and it may not be good for India when we are trying for rapid expansion to rural areas.
- India has become first country to adopt OECD suggestions; many other countries may charge similar levy on Indian firms working in other countries.
- A new campaign can be started by foreign entities in the name of tax terrorism In India which are skeptical on Indian taxation policies.