Why are values like impartiality, non-partisanship and objectivity fundamental to the civil services? Why can’t a civil servant discharge his duties without having these values? Substantiate by taking an example.
As term “civil servant” itself meant for service to others so it is very difficult to have service as moral value without having these traits. These are important as
Impartiality– helps official to do his duty without any prejudice, biasness, and it guide decision on objective basis. So it helps for deliver duty with rationality, bring practicality in decisions, and guide to serve as per rules and guideline.
Non-partisanship– is important trait for civil servant as he is ultimate responsible to citizen of Indian and not to political bosses. In a long service career for remain honest and dutiful; neutrality from political affiliation is important.
Objectivity– civil servant has to look for different dimension before taking every decision so objective decision is the best method for decision making and problem solving approach. It minimizes the scope of allegations and same time probability of logical decision while performing duty is high.
In a situation of disaster management, this character helps civil servant to take decisions objectively like
- Have priority for safety of children, women, and old people first because rationally they are more vulnerable.
- Ensure equal resource allocation for all section of society without any partiality.
- Avoid any political pressure in crisis situation if official is non partisanship.
- Financial decisions rationally among different needs of situation.
- Can ask help to all section of society or political leaders because of non partisanship
Civil servant integrity and acceptance across the system get tested based on these traits so it must be fundamental objective for civil services.
What is the difference between attitude and aptitude? Explain by taking an example. What does civil services aptitude imply? Can it be acquired or is it only in born? Discuss.
Aptitude is part of individual competency to do certain kind of work and to learn something; it may be physical or mental inherent potential. With practice, aptitude can be developing further. Attitude is once instinct and way of thinking towards a person, place, or object. It may be positive, negative, and value neutral. Attitude is mental exercise whereas aptitude is mix of mental and physical capacity. Attitude and aptitude influence to each other and so integrated part of individual personality.
One person may have attitude to win an Olympic medal for country but a person with aptitude can actually achieve it with right attitude. One may have attitude to become an air force pilot but for that he need to clear the exams; to do that aptitude is basic requirement. So in daily life attitude and aptitude are complementary for a civil servant and he need both to deliver his duties.
In civil service aptitude applies in daily basis while conceiving, conceptualizing new policies, find out innovative way out for problem solving, learn new tools to bring expertise in his role, and so on.
Aptitude is mix of both it is born and can be acquire also with dedicated practice and hard work. Research shows in many cases acquired aptitude is more sustainable and effective than born aptitude. For implementing the decisions born aptitude may not be enough, civil servant need develop further it for successful function. Attitude and aptitude are takes to success as attitude with EQ and aptitude with IQ and both impotent for civil services.
Civil servants have adequate powers (even coercive powers) to perform their duties. Yet the values of empathy, compassion and tolerance are considered indispensable. Why? Elucidate.
To deliver the duty honestly and serve the last person in system power may not be enough but need to complement with few other values; empathy, compassion, and tolerance are few.
Compassion means to have concern for other suffering and challenges while empathy guides to understand others feelings and problems. Tolerance is important character to allow others also to share view and perspective even there is difference of opinion. There all characters are indispensable in civil services because
- Help to most deprive section– compassion and empathy is important to understand the pain of most deprived section that cannot raise their voice for social justice.
- Handle critical issues– like molestation, trafficking, religious conflicts, manual scavenging, and so on, all such issues just do not need power. It demands human touch to understand issues before taking any further step.
- Conscience keeper- Power alone do not help to take decisions, it helps in implementation but for right implementation, right and justified decisions also important which can get from these traits.
- Representation– tolerate the ideas, listen all minds from different section of society before using power can solve many problems as it is now civil servants trying in J&K.
- Control the misuse of power– power is value neutral so can be used any way. To guide it for constructive work, compassion and empathy must be integrate with its use.
So it is not just power can drive best for society but integration with compassion and tolerance in diversified society like India.
The President gave his assent to the Goods and Services Tax (GST) Bill recently. The roll-out of GST will usher India into an era of simplified tax statutes and also help India improve its position in the Ease of Doing Business rankings. Elucidate.
Goods and Service Tax (GST) has been argued as one of the most remarkable reform in post independence history of India. This claim is justified because of following reasons-
GST and simplified tax structure-
- It will subsume many taxes; for center it will subsume central excise duty, additional excise duty, service tax, additional custom duty, and special additional custom duty. At state level taxes like VAT, octroi and entry tax, purchase tax, lottery tax, and tax on gambling.
- Simple and transfer tax policy to customers which will reduce the tax burden from customers
- Widen tax base so if it helps in increase revenue, state and center will have more resources for welfare schemes.
- Its implementation will bring transparency in union and state financial relations as all decision on taxation policy will be taken by GST council.
GST and ease of doing business-
- Common market- India market will be common and uniform economically first time in post independent history.
- Discard tax terrorism- it will reduce cascading impact of complex taxation system and will help predictable, stable, and transparent taxation system for investors.
- Easy business compliance- as this system heavily based on IT so from registration to grievance mechanism will be done in real time basis.
- Bring competitiveness- as cost of trade and manufacturing will reduce so it will make India more competitive in global market.
- SME sector growth- will increase as business procedure will be easy and transparent for them.
Still many things are unfold on GST like product coverage, RNR rate, implementation structure, rate for important goods like food items so on. So it is a process rather destiny which will take some more time to deliver promises.